peanut butter cookies
When I was a kid, I used to bake peanut butter cookies all the time. One could say they were my go to cookie. And they weren’t just any peanut butter cookies; I had the perfect recipe. My neighbours loved them and requested them often.
That recipe may have been the first recipe I ever memorized but I would pull out the cookbook it was in and follow along anyways. After a few years, cookie dough, flour, and sugar were stuck in the pages and had stained the recipe.
After I went vegan, I stopped pulling out that cookbook. I probably tried to vegan-ize the recipe, but for some reason I stopped making peanut butter cookies. I made them on occasion, but I never found a vegan recipe that I loved.
Then I was diagnosed with celiac and I gave up completely. I hadn’t made peanut butter cookies in over a year! My gluten free baking has been getting better, and aquafba has been a dream ingredient, so I tried to vegan-ize my favourite recipe. And it worked!
I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do.
peanut butter cookies
active time: 15 minutes ~ total time: 55 minutes
You would not believe that these soft peanut butter cookies are not only vegan, but gluten free as well! They’ve become my go-to recipe for peanut butter cookies.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I used vegan becel)
- 1/4 coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup aquafaba
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup arrowroot
- 2 cups Bob’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1. Cream the peanut butter, butter, coconut oil, and sugar. Add the aquafaba and vanilla, mix well.
2. Mix in the baking soda and baking powder one at a time.
3. Mix in the arrowroot and then the Bob’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Shape the dough into 1.5 inch balls and squish them down using a fork. Place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes while your oven preheats.
6. Bake for 14 minutes. The cookies will appear soft. Leave them on the sheet for 5 minutes and then place them on a cooling rack.
7. Enjoy with a glass of almond milk!