It is almost officially fall and I cannot wait. The boots, the scarves, the sweaters… is there anything better? The beginning of fall also marks the beginning soup eating season. Don’t get me wrong, I eat soup all year round, but I crave it in the fall because it is so comforting and easy to make.
As most of us are getting back into our routines, whether that be school, work, or both, it is nice to be able to come home after a long day and whip up something easy and delicious. This creamy asparagus soup is one of my favourite soups as it comes together quickly and requires little preparation.
I know September isn’t asparagus season, but I still love to make this dish in the fall. Even when asparagus is in season, it isn’t often used to make soups where I live. However, in the Netherlands, asparagus soup is served everywhere when asparagus is in season.
This recipe was inspired by my travels in the Netherlands a few years back. Walking through the streets, many small restaurants had their sandwich boards out advertising asparagus soup. Surprisingly, I never actually went into one of the restaurants and ordered some. Then one day, after having been home for a while, I saw a bunch of asparagus at the farmer’s market and had a craving for soup. The result was this creamy, light, and fresh soup. Enjoy!
creamy asparagus soup
active time: 25 minutes ~ total time: 60 minutes
A really simple yet delicious soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch of asparagus, approximately 16 oz
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1/4 cup Belsoy Soya Cuisine, and extra for garnish*
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Over medium to high heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and sauté until the garlic turns golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes.
3. While your onions and garlic are cooking, chop approximately 2 inches off the ends of the asparagus and discard. Roughly chop your asparagus stems and feel free to set a couple stems aside for garnish. Add the asparagus to your pot and let them cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the veggie broth and turn the up the heat. Once your soup reaches a boil, let simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
5. Remove the soup from the heat and carefully pour your soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Put the soup back into the pan and stir in the Belsoy and the salt and pepper.
*You can replace the Belsoy with a creamy unsweetened dairy alternative.